Malcolm Turnbull says a dozen major terrorist plots stopped since 2014 – politics live

 

Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article titled “Malcolm Turnbull says a dozen major terrorist plots stopped since 2014 – politics live” was written by Gabrielle Chan, for theguardian.com on Tuesday 23rd May 2017 22.53 UTC

Turnbull was asked, given the bomber was born in Manchester, what Australia is doing to identify and intervene in radicalisation processes.

Turnbull repeated that 63 people had been arrested on terrorism charges and noted the report into the Lindt Cafe siege would come down today.

Today, the coroner’s report on the Lindt Cafe siege will be handed down and this is a moment too to reflect on the tragic loss of life there, of Tori Johnson and Katrina Dawson … and this is a moment too to reflect on the tragic loss of life there … And again our heartfelt sympathies, condolences and prayers go to their families.

Updated

Malcolm Turnbull says Australian intelligence services have disrupted and stopped a dozen major terrorist plots since September 2014, including one before Christmas involving plans to detonate a bomb and commit other attacks in and around Federation Square.

He says the key to disrupting plans is good intelligence.

This is a constantly evolving, it’s a dynamic environment. We must be as agile as our enemies. We must be more agile than our enemies. So we have to learn from every incident.

Malcolm Turnbull says security at mass events in Australia is always under constant review.

You’ll see heightened police presences, more obstacles, bollard, barriers put in the way to prevent vehicle-borne attacks.

The PM says the Australian and New Zealand Counter-Terrorism Committee pulls together Australian and New Zealand jurisdictions to develop a national strategy to coordinate state and territory police services, local governments and the owners and operators of various venues and events.

Then the government’s counter-terrorism coordinator will discuss progress at Coag next month. The review should be received and endorsed by the Counter-Terrorism Committee from July.

Updated

Malcolm Turnbull speaks to the UK PM

The prime minister is speaking on AM.

He has spoken to the UK PM, Theresa May, overnight, offering Australia’s sympathies.

Turnbull repeats May’s message that UK authorities have found evidence of a wider plot.

So in that sense, the attack is not over. Until all of those associated with this criminal have been rounded up, their networks broken and their connections uncovered and brought to justice.

Turnbull has just spoken to the Australian director general of security, the head of Asio and his counter-terrorism coordinator. He repeats that the threat level remains “probable”.

Updated

Pauline, I don’t want to do anything that will destroy your chances

Good morning blogans,

Obviously overnight the terrible aftermath of the bombing in Manchester is still unfolding with the first victims being identified, including an eight-year-old girl Saffie Rose Roussos with a sunny smile. If you want to follow the news, including the unfolding government and security reaction, we are continuing our live blog here.

In Australia, the foreign minister, Julie Bishop, has spoken again about the tragic events and its reverberations this morning.

She says there is no evidence that the terrorist threat in Australia – which is “probable” – should change.

If it should change we would act on the advice of our security, intelligence and law enforcement agencies as to what would be appropriate.

In more work-a-day political matters, Pauline Hanson spoke to Sky overnight regarding the pressure on the party over leaked recordings of her chief of staff, James Ashby, suggesting money-making schemes raised from their own candidates. Hanson and Ashby have said the schemes never went ahead. She told Paul Murray that people were trying to get to her through Ashby.

They are trying to undermine me through James Ashby, to get rid of James because we work so well together.

He is capable, very articulate young man who has no ambitions to be a member of parliament because I have already offered that job to him in the last election if he would stand on the ticket with me.

He said, ‘Pauline, no I don’t’, he said, ‘because I don’t want to do anything that will destroy your chances of getting elected to parliament’.

#liabilities

But former One Nation candidate Lynette Keehn has spoken to Primrose Riordan and Rosie Lewis at the Oz. She said she had to put her campaign costs on her credit card.

Despite obtaining 18% of the primary vote, Lynette Keehn says she did not receive any return of funds from the One ­Nation executive.

“My understanding was that when you got your 4% in votes … anything after that you get paid per vote,” Ms Keehn told The Australian.

“Yes, I did (ask for a refund). Well, I was told that doesn’t ­happen.”

Ms Keehn, who is now searching for a job while looking after her seriously ill husband, said she was left with debts of $5,000-$7,000 from campaign costs.

The party is now subject to an AFP investigation after Labor’s Murray Watts referred the matter.

Now the house is sitting at 9.30am and Senate estimates continue.

The bill for a Medicare levy rise is coming to the House and the Gonski 2.0 debate continues. Let’s get to it. Talk to me in the thread, on the Twits @gabriellechan and @mpbowers or on Facebook.

Updated

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010

Published via the Guardian News Feed plugin for WordPress.

Print Friendly