Potli Massage Therapy
Magical Potlis to the Rescue!
By Sharmila Chand
Poultices have been used traditionally in Thailand since the 14th century. They are extremely beneficial as a rebalancing, rhythmic massage using heated poultices, relaxes the muscles, release tension and nourish the skin.
Potli/Poultice/kizhi is a very special massage therapy using ‘JADI BUTI POTLIS’ which are made of muslin cloth containing different dried or fresh herbs, spices & plants. Then the potlis are dipped in lukewarm medicated oil and massaged in rhythmic pats and strokes. The heat opens pores so they can absorb the positives of the carefully selected ingredients working on the mind and body. The philosophy works very well as the body soaks in the healing nutrients, where fire and water come together as a key medium.
Special Potlis (Therapeutic Herbal Blends)
How the potlis are made and their content is of great significance. The herbs in Potlis can be chosen according to individuals’ specific Ayurvedic body type, liking or therapeutic benefits for a particular problem. Since different herbs have different properties, it is essential that some attention is given to how the potli is made..For example, the potlis can be very effective for osteo arthritis, spondylitis, and for better blood circulation. It relieves joint pains, muscle cramps and stress. It also tones up the nerves and muscles. Potli massage is particularly useful in specific type of pain and can be advised for the whole body or any specific part.
Potli Herbs Properties At A Glance!
* Neem & Mustard – detoxify and heal the skin and body.
* Mint & Lemon – soothe headaches and uplift the mood.
* Ginger & Turmeric – purify & revitalise the mind and body.
* Onion & Aloe Vera – reduce soreness, swelling, pain & inflammation.
*Lemon & Orange – rejuvenate and regenerate the body and mind.
* Lavender & Cardamom – calming and refreshing.
* Rosemary & Rice – ease tense muscles and stimulate circulation.
* Ashwagandha Root – It has deep relaxing properties that help to relieve stress and promote restful sleep. It is also able to relax tense muscles and increase the vitality of people who are recovering from chronic illnesses.
Benefits Of Potli Massage Therapy
• Reduces inflammation
• Promotes better circulation
• Relieves pain and stiffness in joints and muscular spasms
• Improves mobility and flexibility
• Tones the skin
• Alleviates arthritis pain
Types of Potli Massage
• Wet – Snigdha Potli massage:
o Vata related disorders like spondilysis, frozen shoulder
• Dry – Rukshya potli massage:
Using baluka, such as sand , dry herbs powder
o Recommended for Inflammation of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Hot Poultice Massage
Aura Spa at The Park, New Delhi
A rebalancing, rhythmic massage using heated muslin poultices infused with herbs and spices, which are applied to the body to relax the muscles, release tension and nourish the skin in a kneading action. The fragrant and therapeutic nature of the oils, poultices, and massage make this a rejuvenating experience.
Heavenly Massage At Heavenly Spa
The Westin Gurgaon
Price : 6500 INR
Says Bandana Sundas, Spa Manager, The Westin Gurgaon, “Our signature treatment, Heavenly massage is one of the most pampering and calming body treatment at the Heavenly Spa. Our therapist applies the essential oil of Orange and Cinnamon and gives the compression of the hot herbal poultice bags containing various herbs.”
JADI BUTI POTLI
At Ranjit Svaasa Spa Haveli , Amritsar
Duration : 75 minutes
Potli Massage Therapy
At Aman Spa at Aman New Delhi,
Time: 75 mins
Cost: Rs 5,800 + tax
At the Mandara Spa at Radisson Blu Resort and Spa, Alibaug
Duration– 60 mins
Price– Rs.3000/- (+ Tax)